Installing MSDN Library/docs for VS.NET 2003 and 2005 at the same
ISGADMIN
2006-02-04 18:59:30 UTC
Hi -

I have VS.NET 2003 and VS.NET 2005 both installed on my machine. I am
unable to install the both respective MSDN Libraries successfully. (Note
that Microsoft published an MSDN Library for VS.NET 2003 [last edition in
October, 2005]) and they also published a new MSDN Library for VS.NET 2005
when VS.NET 2005 got released.) My order of operations was: Install VS.NET
2003, Install VS.NET 2005, Install msdn library 2005 (integration with vs.net
2005 and msdn library 2005 worked fine), install msdn library 2003 in a
DIFFERENT directory. When I start VS.NET 2003 though, the integration of the
library/help is not working.

I also tried to install the msdn library 2003 first, and it did "integrate",
but then I had the same problem wth 2005.

thanks and regards
Gary Chang[MSFT]
2006-02-06 08:10:35 UTC
Post by ISGADMIN
I have VS.NET 2003 and VS.NET 2005 both installed on my
machine. I am unable to install the both respective MSDN
Libraries successfully.
I am not very clear about how you installed the Visual Studio 2003/2005
specific MSDN editions to your machine.

The general convention to install the MSDN Library for Visual Studio.NET
2003 and Visual Studio 2005 is to install them in their corresponding
Visual Studio.NET 2003 or Visual Studio 2005 setup program. This would
integrate the MSDN library with the current Visual Studio. If you install
the MSDN library from its own setup program (which setup.exe under the MSDN
dircetory), it may not be integrated.

By the way, I suggest you to remove the installed MSDN Library for Visual
Studio.NET 2003 or Visual Studio 2005 in your machine first.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Gary Chang
Microsoft Community Support
PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD will be updated at 9:00
AM PST, February 14, 2006. Please complete a re-registration process by
entering the secure code mmpng2006 when prompted. Once you have entered the
secure code mmpng2006, you will be able to update your profile and access
the partner newsgroups.
that others may learn and benefit from this issue.
ISGADMIN

Gary Chang[MSFT]